Below are recommended reading materials for those who are interested. Many can be purchased online through popular vendors, or follow the links for those with open access.
- Grey, Julia N. Chase, Sandra Bell, and Russell A. Hill. (2017) Leopard diets and landowner perceptions of human wildlife conflict in the Soutpansberg Mountains, South Africa. Journal for Nature Conservation 37: 56-65. PDF
- Pitman, R.T, Fattebert, J., Williams, S.T., Williams, K.S, Hill, R.A, Hunter, L.T.B, Slotow, R. and Balme, G.A (2016) The Conservation Costs of Game Ranching. Conservation Letters, 9, (3). Abstract. PDF
- Pitman, R.T., Fattebert, J., Williams, S.T., Williams, K.S., Hill, R.A., Hunter, L.T., Robinson, H., Power, J., Swanepoel, L., Slotow, R. and Balme, G.A., (2016) Cats, connectivity and conservation: incorporating datasets and integrating scales for wildlife management. Journal of Applied Ecology. PDF
- Howlett, C. and Hill, R.A., (2016) Can zoo enclosures inform exclosure design for crop‐raiding primates? A preliminary assessment. African Journal of Ecology. PDF
- Nowak, K., Richards, S.A., le Roux, A. and Hill, R.A. (2016) Influence of live-capture on risk perceptions of habituated samango monkeys. Journal of Mammalogy,gyw083. Abstract. PDF
- Nowak, K., Hill, R.A., Wimberger, K. and le Roux, A. (2016) Risk-Taking in Samango Monkeys in Relation to Humans at Two Sites in South Africa. In Ethnoprimatology (pp. 301-314). Springer International Publishing. Abstract
- Constant, N., Bell, S. and Hill, R.A. (2015) The impacts, characterisation and management of human–leopard conflict in a multi-use land system in South Africa. Biodiversity Conservation, 1-23. Abstract and PDF.
- Howlett, C., Setchell, J.M., Hill, R.A. & Barton, R.A. (2015) The 2D:4D ratio and social behaviour in wild female chacma baboons (Papio ursinus) in relation to dominance, aggression, affiliation, interest in infants and heritability. Behavioral Ecology & Sociobiology 69: 61–74. Abstract. PDF.
- Nowak, K., le Roux, A., Richards, S.A., Scheijen, C. & Hill, R.A. (2014) Human observers modulate arboreal monkeys’ perceived landscape of fear. Behavioral Ecology 25 (5): 1199–1204. Abstract. PDF. Supplementary information PDF.
- Coleman, B.T. and Hill, R.A. (2014) Living in a landscape of fear: the impact of predation, resource availability and habitat structure on primate range use. Animal Behaviour 88, 165-173. Abstract. PDF.
- Chase Grey, J.N., Kent, V.T. and Hill, R.A. (2013) Evidence of a High Density Population of Harvested Leopards in a Montane Environment. PLoS ONE 8, e82832. Abstract. PDF.
- Emerson, S.E., Brown, J.S. and Linden, J.D. (2011) Identifying Skyes’ monkeys’, Cercopithecus albogularis erythrarchus, axes of fear through patch use. Animal Behaviour, 81: 455 – 462
- Willems, E.P. & Hill, R.A. (2009) A critical assessment of two species distribution models taking vervet monkeys (Cercopithecus aethiops) as a case study. Journal of Biogeography 36: 2300-2312. Abstract. PDF.
- Willems, E.P., Barton, R.A. & Hill, R.A. (2009) Remotely sensed productivity, home range selection and local range use by an omnivorous primate. Behavioral Ecology, 20: 985-992. Abstract. PDF.
- Willems, E.P. & Hill, R.A. (2009) Predator-specific landscapes of fear and resource distribution: effects on spatial range use. Ecology, 90: 546-555. Abstract. PDF.
- Findlay, L., (2016) Human-primate conflict: An interdisciplinary evaluation of wildlife crop raiding on commercial crop farms in Limpopo Province, South Africa. PhD Thesis. Department of Anthropology. Durham University: England.
- Constant, N.L (2014) A social-ecological approach to understanding conflict between humans and leopards: implications for leopard conservation and community livelihoods. PhD Thesis, Durham University. Abstract. PDF.
- Coleman, B.T. (2013) Spatial and temporal determinants of samango monkey (Cercopithecus mitis erythrarchus) resource acquisition and predation avoidance behaviour. PhD Thesis, Durham University. Abstract. PDF.
- De-raad, L.A. (2012) Travel routes and spatial abilities in wild chacma baboons (Papio ursinus). PhD Thesis, Durham University. Abstract. PDF.
- Chase Grey, J.N. (2011) Leopard population dynamics, trophy hunting and conservation in the Soutpansberg Mountains, South Africa. PhD Thesis, Durham University. Abstract. PDF
- Howlett, C. (2013) The 2D:4D ratio & social behaviour in female chacma baboons. MSc Thesis, Durham University.
- Sassoon, R. (2013) Foraging under predation risk: A test of giving-up densities with samango monkeys in South Africa. MSc Thesis, Durham University.
- O’Connell, A.F., Nichols, J.D. and Karanth, K.U. (eds) (2011) Camera traps in animal ecology: methods and analyses. Tokyo: Springer.
- Kruuk, H. (2002) Hunter and hunted: relationships between carnivores and people. New York: Cambridge University Press.
- Stuart, C. and Stuart, T. (2000) Field guide to mammals of Southern Africa. Cape Town: Struik Publishers.
- Stuart, C. and Stuart, T. (2000) Field guide to tracks and signs of Southern and East African wildlife. Cape Town: Struik Publishers.
- Estes, R. (1991) The behaviour guide to African mammals. Berkeley, CA: University of California Press.